Mushroom, Leek, and Chicken Pie
· 100g butter
· 600g mushrooms, sliced
· 3 leeks, chopped
· 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
· 750ml mushroom stock, (you can sub for chicken stock)
· ½ small pack flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stalks separated
· ½ small pack thyme
· 200ml crème fraiche (can be subbed for your choice of sour cream, cashew or coconut cream)
· 1 shredded cooked chicken breast or 200g left-over rotisserie chicken
· 1 egg for egg wash
· 1pkg puff pastry
Step 1: Heat the butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the leeks and the mushrooms, and cook for 7-10 mins until soft, then season well. Add the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Slowly add the stock, stirring until you have a thick sauce.
Step 2: Chop the parsley leaves, then stir into the leeks. Then add the thyme leaves, crème fraiche, and chicken. Check the seasoning, then spoon the mixture into your pie dish to cool slightly.
Step 3: Heat oven to 425°F. Roll out the pastry on a lightly dusted work surface to the thickness of about 3mm. Cut thin strips from the edges and use a little water to stick these around the lip of the pie dish, then wet the top of the pastry strip. Lift the pastry on top of the pie, trim the edges and crimp them with your fingers or a fork. Brush the top with your egg wash.
Step 4: Put the dish on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30-35 mins until the pastry is risen and golden. Some of the filling may have bubbled up through the steam hole. Rest the pie for a couple of minutes and enjoy!